Hoosier Uplands
Contact Us*
Hoosier Uplands - Community Services Main Page

2019-2020 Energy Assistance Program
Hoosier Uplands will once again be offering assistance with winter heating bills for income eligible residents of Lawrence, Orange, Martin and Washington Counties. Services are provided without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, or status as a veteran.  Applications for the heating portion of the program will be taken from November through May funding permitting.

Income Guidelines for 2019-2020
 Size   One Month
   Three Months
 1 $2,069.00 $6,209.00
 2 $2,706.00 $8,119.00
 3 $3,343.00 $10,029.00
 4 $3,979.00 $11,940.00
 5 $4,616.00 $13,850.00
 6 $5,253.00 $15,760.00
 7 $5,372.00 $16,119.00
 8 $5,492.00 $16,477.00

To apply for Energy Assistance you will need:
  • Proof of Income for all members of the household that are 18 years of age or older, this includes college students.
  • Do you or anyone in your home receive Social Security, SSI or VA benefit?
  • Bank Statement showing Social Security, SSI, VA, or Retirement Deposit.
  • Benefit Letter from Social Security, SSI, VA, or Retirement.
  • Employed?
  • Last check stub with gross year-to-date information.
  • W-2's can be used as proof of income from January 1st to April 15th of 2020.
  • Self Employed?
  • Current Taxes (1040, Schedule 1, C, E, F, SE, 1099 and W-2's)
  • Do you receive child support?
  • Please complete release of information form and sign zero income form.
  • Unemployment?
  •           Did anyone in your household receive unemployment during the last 12 months? 
  •           They must sign a release of information form. See Attached
  • No income?
  • Zero income form for all household members over the age of 18.  (If you haven't had any income for the past 3 months, you must complete this form).  See Attached
  • Work One wage detail (We can request this for you!  We will need your signature on a release of information form).  See attached
  • Children over the age of 18 and still in high school:  We need a letter of attendance from the school.
  • Homeowners:  Proof of ownership:  We need a copy of your homeowners insurance, property tax statement or mortgage statement, deed or title.
  • Electric bill:  We need a copy of your bill showing your account number, service address and billing name.
  • Gas bill:  We need your bill to show your account number, service address and billing name.
  • Landlord Affidavit:  ONLY renters with utilities included in rent must have this completed by landlord.  See attached
  • Social Security Cards:  We must have a copy on file for all members of the household.
  • Birthdates:  For all members of the household (we do not need birth certificates).
  • Photo ID
  • Veterans:  DD-214, military card, and separation papers.

Please check below our New Office Hours before calling to schedule an appointment.

Main Office
521 West Main Street
Mitchell, IN  47446
Phone:  812-849-4457 or Toll Free:  800-333-2451
Fax:  812-849-4467
Monday-Friday - Hours:  8:00 to 5:00

Bedford Office
710 6th Street
Bedford, IN  47421
Phone:  812-279-0412
Fax:  812-279-1891
Monday-Thursday - Hours:  8:30 to 4:30 (Energy Assistance Office is closed on Friday)

Martin County Office
P.O. Box 716 (Federal Building located at 2nd & Main)
Shoals, IN  47581
Phone:  812-247-3303
Fax:  812-247-2009
Monday-Wednesday-Friday - Hours:  8:00 to 4:30 (Energy Assistance Office is closed Tuesday and Thursday)

Orange County Office
200 West Court Street, Suite 3
Paoli, IN  47454
Phone:  812-723-4607
Fax:  812-723-3496
Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday - Hours:  8:00 to 4:30 (Energy Assistance Office is closed Wednesday)

Washington County
902 Aspen Drive
Salem, IN  47167
Phone:  812-883-5368 or Toll Free:  800-487-8890
Fax:  812-883-8085
Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday - Hours:  8:00 to 4:30 (Energy Assistance Office closed Monday and Friday)

Persons with speech/hearing disabilities please call Frontier's TRS at (800) 743-3333. 

Appointments are first call/first schedule basis as long as funding permits.

Department Links: